The family of a man who died as a result of being exposed to asbestos at work have been awarded £1m compensation.
Kenneth Evans was 71 when he died in 2014. He had developed mesothelioma cancer as a result of exposure to asbestos during the 1960s and 1970s when he worked as a pipe fitter.
His family took legal action because they said the company that employed him at the time did not provide adequate protective clothing and equipment. The company has since changed its operating practices.
Mr Evans’ daughter Keryl Lanfear sought compensation on behalf of the family. The company agreed to pay £1m in an out-of-court settlement. A large part of the settlement is to fund care for Mr Evans’ widow who suffers from Alzheimer’s Disease.
Mr Evans looked after her until he died but now that support will have to be provided by full-time professional carers.
Mrs Lanfear said: “Losing our dad was hard enough to bear but even more worrying was just how much our mum relied on him.
“Me and my sister did not appreciate how much care and support our dad actually did provide 24 hours a day, every day.”
Please contact us if you would like advice about making a personal injury claim.